Select Page

Frequently Asked Questions

DISCLAIMER: The answers to the FAQ on this page apply only to residents of the province of Alberta in Canada, are for general information only and do not constitute legal advice. You should seek advice for answers specific to your situation.

Do I need to have a will?


But you probably want to have one. Without a will where your property goes is decided by law, specifically the Wills and Succession Act and these might not be your intentions. Making your intentions known by way of a will makes things easier for your loved ones and can reduce costs making sure more of your property goes where you choose.

I have heard about enduring powers of attorney and personal directives. What are these?

These two documents give someone you choose the authority to make decisions on your behalf if you are unable to do so. The incapacitation could be temporary or permanent , some examples are coma, dementia or brain injury. An enduring power of attorney appoint someone to deal with your finances and a personal directive appoints someone to deal with your personal/medical decisions. Your spouse or “next of kin” does not automatically have the right to make these decisions. Having these documents in place can save your loved ones time and money by avoiding having to make application to become the person authorized to make decisions for you.

I am a contractor who does renovations to people’s homes. Can you help me to ensure that I am paid by homeowners?

Homestead Law can assist you with creating a contract for homeowners to sign which will help protect you in the event that homeowners do not want to pay. Both homeowners and contractors have obligations and protections under the Builders’ Lien Act

I am a homeowner having renovations done to my home. Is there anything I can do to help protect myself from having a lien filed against my home by my contractors subcontractors?

While you may not be able to prevent a subcontractor from filing a lien against your home, there are provisions of the Builders’ Lien Act which, if followed, can relieve you as homeowner of obligation for such liens. Homestead Law can help you to figure out what you are required to do as a homeowner.

I have a real estate agent to help me buy or sell my home so I really only need a lawyer to do the paperwork to close the deal, right?

A real estate agent can be a great source of information and advice when buying or selling a home but it is never too early to seek legal advice on your purchase or sale. Having your documents reviewed by a lawyer before signing them can sometimes save you hassle, delays and cost.


When you work with Homestead Law, you become part of the family. With over 20 years of experience, Tamara Epple ensures her clients receive honest, informed legal advice.


Homestead Law offers legal services including real estate, wills and estate planning, business and contract law and notary services in a comfortable, client-focused environment.

Get in Touch

Please be aware that submitting this form or sending an e-mail to Homestead Law does not create a lawyer-client relationship, the information you send will not be considered confidential and you may not receive a response. Please do not send Homestead Law confidential information through this contact form.


PHONE 780 243 2116
FAX 780 417 5890

104-2457 Broadmoor Blvd
Sherwood Park AB T8H 0Y6